“Its pumpkin season,” sounds like music to ears of many gourmets. We use the season to unite beloved holiday dishes with the local autumnal produce. This vegetarian combination includes Italian elements like white wine and Parmesan and is topped by a nutty Hokkaido.
The finishing touches happen in the oven – Don’t lose track of time!
An oven baked risotto with pumpkin
Ingredients (For 4 servings):
For the risotto:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
175 g | 1 cup Arborio rice
150 ml dry white wine
1 l vegetable stock, kept hot on the stove
80 ml double cream
1/4 small pumpkin, seeded and cut into thin wedges
freshly ground black pepper
3 – 4 tbsp creme fraiche
2 – 3 tbsp Parmesan, shredded
- For the risotto: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over a medium heat until hot. Add the shallot, garlic, and a pinch of salt, sweating for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent in appearance. Add the wine, bring to the boil, and then reduce to a simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Incorporate the stock by the ladleful, stirring and simmering until the rice has absorbed all the stock before adding the next ladle.
- Continue in this fashion until the rice has absorbed all the stock and is tender to the bite and creamy; about 25-30 minutes. You may not need to use all the stock.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) | 375F | gas 5.
- Once the rice is ready, stir in the double cream and adjust the seasoning to taste. Spoon into an oval baking dish and top with the pumpkin wedges.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until the risotto is browned on top and the pumpkin is tender to the tip of a knife.
- To serve: Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving with dollops of creme fraiche and some shredded Parmesan on top.
Cover: StockFood / Fotos mit Geschmack / #11980859